Wednesday, May 23, 2012

“You Can Achieve It If You Are Consumed With The Goal”

“You Can Achieve It If You Are Consumed With The Goal”

       “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close
       they were to success when they gave up.”
—Thomas Edison (1847-1931), American inventor

“So, then, how do we keep ourselves motivated for an extended
period? How can we rise above the mediocre and average worker? How
can we excel so we may earn that promotion? How can we land that
better job, or finish college and earn that long-awaited degree which will
enable our growth and higher income levels?

You already know you are capable of greatness. We all are. The
amazing thing is that we were each born to be great. It is only our
thinking that has infected our mind with roadblocks.

Oh, sure, you may be successful, happy, well-off financially. But you
also may have settled into a comfort zone that many people accept in
life. We each have the capability of being outstanding, not only in one
area, but in many. Are you settling? Are you merely content? Do you
know in your heart that you can do far better, or do something else you
have always dreamed of doing?

When I was a teen, the boy who lived next door played the guitar.
He was great—very talented. He was even able to write songs. For some
reason, I couldn’t learn the guitar, though I tried to teach myself. So I
stopped trying. It wasn’t my thing.

Still, I desperately wanted to write songs. But how do you write songs
without playing an instrument for the music? Well, no one ever told me
that I couldn’t write songs. And if my neighbor could write songs, so
could I! So I wrote the words to tunes I created in my mind. Then I
would sing the songs out and record them on a small tape recorder. The
year was 1968. I have been writing songs ever since, singing unknown
musical notes and words into tape recorders and, now, directly onto
computer hard drives.

You see, my burning desire to write songs was so powerful
that I overcame the obstacles before me. Over the years, I have had
professional musicians listen to and decipher the tunes I was singing,
and have had some of my songs recorded professionally, mostly for my
own enjoyment. To this day, if inspired, I can write an entire song in
less than ten minutes. My goal is to have more of them transcribed,
deciphered, and made into professionally sung songs.

I will point out that my first songs were not fantastic. And some
along the way were not great. But over the years I have accumulated over
four hundred songs, and they have improved with every new one written.
Nothing is impossible. I can guarantee that if someone offered me one
million dollars if I could only play ten full songs on the guitar by two months
from now, I would be able to do it. I am sure most of us would be able to
learn the new instrument and play ten songs for one million dollars.
Desire is the key. I know I would be so motivated to complete that task
that nothing would stop me from receiving that money.”

            “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who
            Find it easier to live the world they’ve been given than to explore
            the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an
            opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is
            potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”
            —David Beckham (b. 1975), English footballer”
C- 2012 John Paul Carinci from the book An All-Consuming Desire To Succeed

No comments:

Post a Comment