Friday, May 18, 2012

Perseverance Means Never Giving Up

Perseverance Means Never Giving Up
“It is amazing to me how many people just naturally take to following
other people. It is as if it is easier to follow along than to travel their own
road. This morning this “following the follower” came to mind when I
saw a flock of birds.

Nature has a way of preserving animals, birds, and other forms of
life. We see elephants, seals, penguins, birds, and the ape family. There
is the leader who makes choices as to where to seek water, food, and
shelter. The leader also moves the flock or herd to safer territory or
different climates.

This morning I studied a large flock of blackbirds flying in precision
formation as they swooped from one lawn to another. They were
eating either some of the grass seed or some bugs on the ground. But
what was amazing was that, as soon as the leader decided to fly away
from a particular lawn, the entire flock followed rapidly, wherever the
leader flew.

I find that many people are like that. Maybe it is bred into us from
nature or instinct alone, but many of us would like to merely follow
rather than lead the way.

Of course, there are those special people who are called “born
leaders.” What is a born leader anyway? Inventors could be considered
born leaders because they travel down roads that were never traveled
before. Inventors work on the nearly impossible. They are fearless
leaders. Inventors don’t get thrown by all the negative criticism they
receive. The inventor merely trudges along after each failure, knowing in
their hearts that success will surely present itself in a future experiment.

So, why can’t most of us lead rather than follow? I guess it is too easy
just to take the road well-traveled rather than cut your own way through
the forest and blaze a new trail. We were each created to be born leaders,
but somewhere along the way we became weak, and then naturally fell
in line behind the braver, tougher, natural leader.

Today, this special day, let us use our imagination. Let us make
believe that we are an inventor such as Thomas Edison. And during
this experiment let us each do something new, challenging, and almost
impossible. Let us become the inventor of our own life. Maybe we can
emulate that persevering mindset of the great inventor for an entire
week! You will be shocked at how you attack work and life like the
inventor you have imagined yourself to be.

In the wild, the strongest ape is the leader. The males routinely fight
among themselves to determine the leader. The leader in most species is
tested regularly, until one day he becomes too weak to lead.
I believe that we were born to be great leaders, each one of us. But
perhaps our upbringing, nurturing, relationships as youngsters, the
crowd we hung out with in school, our slowly formed personalities, all
contributed to who we evolved into as adults. Some of us take chances
without fear of failing because our confidence level is high, while others
fear confrontation, fear risks, and are more comfortable taking a sure
route that we know we can conquer. Thus, we follow the follower.
Inventors have the key to achieving goals. Successful authors,
business owners, and athletes all have the key. They have figured out how
to program their minds with this special, never-ending, burning desire
to succeed in their dream goal. They may not even be aware of what it
is that they have done within themselves to achieve the outcomes they
so desperately desired. But they have actually etched deeply into their
subconscious minds the burning desire to achieve that special goal.

It may be a youngster who has a huge dream of becoming a Major
League Baseball player. He dreams of playing in the Major Leagues,
like his baseball idols such as Derek Jeter. He sees Derek Jeter for years
playing baseball as one of the best who ever played the game, and the
youngster slowly develops the intense desire to emulate Jeter. The desire
gets etched deeply into the youngster’s subconscious mind, and just as
he unconsciously blinks his eyes and breathes the air he needs to survive,
the intense desire to succeed keeps radiating like a flashing sign, all on
its own, pushing the youngster to the ultimate dream of success.

We each have had smaller goals that were intensely driven desires
upon which we acted until they were fulfilled. Let’s look at such a goal.
Perhaps in our youth we watched with great enjoyment the television
program ER. As we watched show after show, we slowly developed a
consuming goal to become a great doctor like the ones we so admired on
the show. We became obsessed with becoming that doctor, or that nurse.

Or maybe we were influenced by another show to become a great lawyer.
Because of the intense desire now deeply etched into our subconscious
mind, we are motivated to seek higher education and a degree in order
to fulfill this all-consuming dream. Will we be millionaires, insanely
rich? Perhaps.

In Og Mandino’s fabulous self-help book The Greatest
Salesman in the World, he talks about changing the way we think by
feeding certain statements into our minds. He talks about controlling
emotions when he says:”
“I will be master of my emotions. If I feel depressed, I will sing. If I feel
sad, I will laugh. If I feel ill, I will double my labor. If I feel fear, I will
plunge ahead. If I feel inferior, I will wear new garments. If I feel uncertain,
I will raise my voice. If I feel poverty, I will think of wealth to come. If I
feel incompetent, I will remember past success. If I feel insignificant, I will
remember my goals. Today I will be the master of my emotions.”
C-2012 John Paul Carinci from the book An All-Consuming Desire To Succeed

No comments:

Post a Comment