Monday, June 11, 2012

The Power of Observing and Learning

               The Power of Observing and Learning

We can learn a tremendous amount by observing all that goes on
around us. I’ve been motivated many times just by observing the people
with whom I came in contact. I love to imagine myself practicing other
people’s careers. I try to picture myself for a while working at others’
job duties, feeling their emotions, and thinking their thoughts. I do this
not because I’m unhappy with myself, but rather to gain insight and
inspiration in my own type of work.

Each time I go on vacation, I look closely at other people. I study
them, their jobs, and their attitudes. I’ll look at the hotel clerks and all
other workers and wonder what it’s like to do their work. What sense of
gratification do they feel from helping others? How much satisfaction
do they get out of their work, and are they happy, or do they just try
to get to closing time and go home? I look at other people’s work and
wonder if it is fulfilling enough. Could I do it? How would I see myself
and my attitude in five years’ time if I were to do their jobs? I try to get
inside their minds. Maybe it’s the writer inside of me.

By looking around and observing, you can actually picture yourself
doing some other line of work. You can look into other people’s concerns
and level of satisfaction without leaving your own job. I’m amazed when
I think about all that actually goes on around us. There are days when,
while driving to work, I look around and observe other drivers going to
their destinations. And as I do, I think about our city, the state, the whole
country. I think about the people working all sorts of different jobs: the
police officers, firefighters, teachers, bakers, and so many others.
Even while we sleep, the cities, with all their nighttime workers,
never do. Each night, all the major newspapers are cranking out their
copies while most of us are snoring. This country runs like a well-oiled
machine twenty-four hours a day. Even if you can’t work for a while, our
country keeps right on moving and churning.

It’s amazing to me! I’m motivated by this positive work movement
in our country. Even if you want to retire, you count on all the services
around you to continue. This inspires me to do my part, to try to make
my imprint, no matter how small it may be. It feels good knowing that
I am helping to keep the country spinning.

We should all start to observe closely. It works best when you
observe strangers. So, the next time you travel out of town, try using
the observation technique. Look, listen, and feel. It doesn’t cost you
anything. But I guarantee that if you practice the technique, not only
will you learn a great deal that you might have previously overlooked
about the world around you, but you’ll feel good about yourself. You’ll
also come away with a feeling of confidence and a new sense of ambition
that will please and surprise you. Put yourself in that other person’s
shoes, even if just for a few minutes.

It feels great to be a contributing factor in the ongoing turning of
the world. We all need to be reminded that we’re not alone, that we each
have to be a productive individual, and that we all need to rely on one
another to do our best and help by pulling our own weight.

    “The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look
    for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.”
—George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Playwright, political activist

C-2012 J. Carinci from the book An All-Consuming Desire To Succeed

No comments:

Post a Comment