Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Maintaining That Desire


Every day, in every way, we are each improving on formerly proven and
workable ideas, methods, words, and science. And each future generation
will continue to improve on our proven and monumental ideas.
I can’t help but think of the first cavemen, and how they surely
failed and succeeded so many times in their then-short life spans. We
truly do live in the best time in the world’s history.
Today a former president can have his life saved and extended merely
by having fairly routine by-pass surgery performed on his heart. And
if need be, his heart can then be re-energized years later by the use of
stents to prop open failed arteries. Years ago many of these heart patients
simply died for lack of the technology that is readily available today.
A few weeks ago I got the inspiration to try to invent a new way to
lift fingerprints off tape—specifically, duct tape. Duct tape is that gray
to repair aluminum heating air ducts, thus the name duct tape. It also
is the tape of choice of many killers. To my knowledge, fingerprints are
not easily lifted from the underside of duct tape. But I figured I could
find a new way to lift fingerprints. What was my motivation? I was just
frustrated with seeing many killers not being brought to justice because
the technology of the day lagged in this specific area of forensics.
Now, I didn’t really have the time to invest, the knowledge, or the
tools needed to invent some new-fangled way of lifting prints, but I
had the desire. Of course, I have not succeeded, as of this writing. But
I gave it a valiant effort and even surprised myself in my elaborate and
extensive experiments in my inventive pursuit. I did not give up, but I
have suspended my duct tape experiments for the time being.
My point in this example is this: The inspiration was there. But that
intense, never-ending drive was not, at least not at that time. Otherwise,
I would never have suspended the experiments, no matter how much
failure I encountered.
colored, very heavy, and strong-holding tape that was originally invented
   "We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success; we often
discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who
never made a mistake never made a discovery."
—Samuel Smiles
Writing books is much like inventing. A writer undertakes a
tremendous endeavor when he plans to write a new book. In the books
I have written, I would estimate that it took four to six years per book
from the thinking, planning stage until the first printing of the final
version. Talk about the need for perseverance and fortitude! There are
many times during the writing of a book when doubt sets in. Doubt
that I will be able to write enough words, or that it will make sense.
Doubt that the readers will like it at all. And doubt that the subject
matter is good enough. A seasoned writer can fight through all these
(1812-1904), Scottish author and reformer
what you hope will be the best material you have ever written.
But think about maintaining that intense drive for four or six years.
And it is an intense drive that motivates a writer to keep picking up that
pen, keep writing word after word, even when the words stop flowing.
There are times when I sit staring at a blank page, unable to write anything
worthwhile. A writer fights through this feeling, this black and negative
impulse. In my case, if I can push out even twenty words, I feel better, at
least for that moment, knowing that, with time, the flow of words will
resume. You see, with an intense desire to finish a book so deeply etched
into my subconscious mind, I know the positive impulse to continue
writing is ever-present. I will be motivated to continue writing, and also
to continue the thinking process that will work through any obstacles I
may be facing at that time.
So, a writer who completes a full book has that intense desire to
succeed. It is far easier to put the project on hold or just quit when faced
with an obstacle that seems insurmountable. And those obstacles are
usually many over a four-year period.
negative impulses, realizing that this is normal in the process of writing
     "For a true writer each book should be a new beginning where he tries
again for something that is beyond attainment. He should always try for
something that has never been done or that others have tried and failed.
Then sometimes, with great luck, he will succeed."
—Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment