Thursday, June 7, 2012

“A Positive Daily Attitude”


“A Positive Daily Attitude”

“Tomorrow, bright and early, I want you to celebrate this theme: “It’s A Great Day To Be Alive.” No matter your age, think about how great it is to be alive. Think about all the good things you want to do today.

There’s a story about a young man who was deeply disturbed by the fact that he was not successful. He felt that his life was worthless, that he was useless and might as well give up on life now. Someone heard the man’s story and it is said that he asked the man, “If your life is worthless would you sell your eyesight, while alive, for one million dollars?” Of course, the man refused and finally realized that he had so much to be thankful for, that his eyesight alone was priceless, and that many others were blind. This man realized through this scenario that he had no right feeling pity for himself, not with all he had going for him.

I was in Atlantic City a few years ago walking along the famous boardwalk, breathing in the fresh ocean air. While walking past all the stores, I came across a woman playing an electric piano. She did it in an extraordinary way, without having arms or legs. She was lying flat on a type of hospital bed and playing the electric piano with her tongue. Her tongue of all things!

If I hadn’t seen her with my own eyes, I would have thought she was playing with all ten fingers. I respected her for her accomplishments, but I felt, too, a sense of guilt for having ever felt sorry for myself.

Here was a woman with disabilities, confronting me, with all my latent abilities, and making me question when I would start applying myself better in life. As people tossed money in her bucket next to her rolling bed, I thought about how she faced life and how it was time for me to face life
even better with my arms, legs, and brain intact.

I tried to picture myself in this woman’s place. I don’t know that if I were in her situation, I could put myself on public display and play an electric piano with my tongue.
I admired her accomplishments, dedication, and ability to play the piano quite well.

Remember the motto: “It’s A Great Day To Be Alive.” If you put that theme into practice, you should celebrate life more often. Invite people over for an impromptu party.
Take your wife or family out on the town. Feel good about yourself. Remember how unique you are. Out of the billions of people in the world, no one can think and feel exactly like you. You are the most important person ever born. Celebrate life by being more successful. Look for your greatness. Find and develop the unique “you” in your life every day.”

C- 2005 John Paul Carinci from the book: The Power Of Being Different

No comments:

Post a Comment