Friday, June 15, 2012

How Bad Is the Problem That Troubles You?

How Bad Is the Problem That Troubles You?

There are times when we all feel that the world is resting on our
shoulders, that our problems are earth-shattering—that is, until we look
all around ourselves.

“I had the blues because I had no shoes until, upon the street, I met a
man who had no feet.”
—Ancient Persian saying

“We each have felt at some time in our lives that things were the
worst they have ever been. Maybe it was because of the loss of personal
property of some kind, the theft of a possession such as a car, a wallet, a
pocketbook, the loss of our home due to flood or fire. Or maybe it was
the loss of our mobility, the inability to walk, broken bones, or sickness
of some kind.

Maybe we have terrible throbbing pain, such as back pain, that
makes life miserable at times. I don’t know about you, but it seems that
if I am ever feeling down about myself or my health, I suddenly seem
to come across an eye-opening wake-up call. I may be having terrible
sciatica pain all day, which can be extremely agonizing. It radiates from
the back on down one leg to the toes. Sometimes it happens out of the
blue and can be quite bothersome.

It is usually on such a day when I’m feeling slightly sorry for myself
that I come across that magical wake-up call. It may be something as
simple as an elderly person who is wracked with pain, slowly limping. Or
maybe I come across a person who is wheelchair-bound, handicapped,
blind, or mentally disabled. I then suddenly, magically, feel fantastic
about myself, my body, my aches and pains.

“Time and health are two precious assets that we don’t recognize and
appreciate until they have been depleted.”
—Denis Waitley (b. 1933), American motivational speaker, writer

Put It All in Perspective
As I am writing this chapter and listening to the television
background noise that we call entertainment, I hear a very troubling
story. On an army base in Texas, an army major suddenly snapped and
shot two guns, killing twelve people and wounding over thirty more.
Once again, it seems like people were in the wrong place at the wrong
time. And once again, my back doesn’t really hurt anymore. Twelve
totally innocent lives. People who woke up just like I did this morning,
made breakfast, and got ready for work.

Not once did those dead individuals think that their lives would end
that day. It probably didn’t cross their minds even once the day before
that life is short, that they have much more to accomplish in their lives,
and that time is of the essence. We don’t really ponder our fate much.
We don’t really take an accounting of our lives now, or over the past five
years, or of what we need to accomplish in the next five years. We all
know that life is short. We all know that life is uncertain. But I maintain
that we don’t act upon this fact very often, that we procrastinate to a
large degree, even knowing that we could very well accomplish much
more and accomplish it far faster.

Now here is the good news. Look around and find the positives
that surround you. As I listen, while writing, to the background press
conference about the killings at Fort Hood, Texas, I remember that my
uncle will be celebrating his ninety-fifth birthday in a few days. He is in
very good shape, very sharp of mind, and still drives his own vehicle all
around. He lives alone and cares for himself, as he is a widower. I draw a
great deal of inspiration from this 95-year-old man who does not dwell
on sickness or death, but merely politely ignores all talk of such things.
My uncle would rather discuss whatever is of interest to him at that
moment. We all know such older people. We each can draw tremendous
inspiration from them.”

“A boy’s will is in his life, and he dies when it is broken, as the colt dies
in harness, taking a new nature in becoming tame.”
—Henry Adams (1838-1918), American journalist
C-2012 J. Carinci from the book An All-Consuming Desire To Succeed








No comments:

Post a Comment