Friday, April 6, 2012

Understanding Habits

Bad Habits Can Change
Worry can become a very bad habit. An unknown
to the new, happy task. Do this for a minimum of 20 days
substituted for the cursing, such as “Ah, beans!” or
“weasel!”
Anyone can do this mind-conditioning. Try it now.
I even stopped smoking by using this same system.
One day I crushed three packs of cigarettes and never had
another one again. Each time I became tempted to smoke a
cigarette I would think, “Stop! Stop smoking! It’s a terrible
habit! Stop!” Every habit can be modified by this method.
Remember, the subconscious mind will accept the
corrective statements it receives, but they must be strongly
stated in a direct manner and said immediately following
the bad habit.
Overeating or worrying can be corrected if you truly
want to break the habit by making statements such as,
“Stop! Stop eating like this! You’re hurting yourself! Stop!
Stop eating like this! Substitute healthy food for the bad!”
Only one habit should be corrected for each 20 day
period at a time. Even if it’s four statements long, the same
statements have to be repeated in the same order for the full
20 days. You may, as I have done, find yourself using the
statements automatically after 20 days."
C- J. Carinci 2005
because, as we know, a habit takes 20 days to be formed, as
it takes the same 20 days to break a bad habit.
I’ve formed good habits in this manner and I’ll share
some of mine with you.
At age 21 I started my career in the life insurance
business. Then, at age 27, I became the youngest district
manager that the insurance company ever had. I decided,
as a leader, I had to change some habits, especially the bad
habit of cursing.
So, as a manager, I decided to stop my cursing. I
employed a positive reinforcement technique. Each time I
would think of a curse word, I would say very stronglyas
if yelling at myself, “Stop cursing! Stop swearing, Stop
cursing! Stop swearing!” Each and every time I even heard
anyone use the slightest curse word, I would say to myself,
“Stop cursing! Stop swearing! Stop!”
Today, many years later, if I hear the slightest curse
word, a bell goes off in my mind and I still tell myself very
strongly, “Stop cursing! Stop swearing!”
If I stub my toe hard by accident, I still do not curse.
It’s reconditioned thinking, a way of controlling my
subconscious. I will on occasion say words that I have
author once said: “It’s not what you’re eating, but what’s
eating you!”
On occasion, I’ve eaten sausage and peppers with plenty
of onions and the food never bothered my stomach. Yet,
on other occasions, I’ve eaten light meals that churned up
tremendous amounts of acid and heartburn. The problem
was not always the food, but what was on my mind or my
subconscious. There are times people can be filled with
worry and stress without being fully aware of their stress.
Think of worry as similar to the blinking cursor on
a computer screen; that is, worry is always sending out
negative thought impulses. Your eyes typically blink
unconsciously at least ten times per minute. In a similar
way, you could be allowing worry to pulsate into your
thoughts, while constantly hurting your mind and your
health. Worry should be seen as a habit and, like any habit,
it can be broken.
What does it take to beat the worry habit? You have
to begin to reprogram your thinking with new thought
patterns. You do this by finding something you enjoy doing
such as painting, gardening, walking, reading, or doing
crossword puzzles. Then, commit at least one hour each day
"What exactly is a habit? The 1990 American Heritage
Dictionary defines habit as “a pattern of behavior acquired
by frequent repetition.” Everyone has habits, bad ones and
good ones.
One bad habit is biting your nails. Smoking is another
bad habit. Americans spend millions of dollars on cigarettes
and then they develop bad health from the side effects of
cigarettes. Eating to excess can also be a bad habit. Others
have the bad habit of using profanity in their everyday
speech. Not only does excess profanity offend others, the
user reveals his lack of self-control and his poor range
of vocabulary. Other bad habits can include rudeness or
selfishness.
William James, a Harvard professor once said, “The
Hell to be endured hereafter of which theology tells us is no
worse than the Hell we make for ourselves in the world by
habitually fashioning our characters in the wrong way. If we
realize the extent to which we are mere walking bundles of
habits, we would give more heed to their formation. We are
spinning our own fates, good or evil, never to be undone.
Every smallest stroke of virtue or vice leaves its never-so
little scar.”

No comments:

Post a Comment