Thursday, November 6, 2014

Excerpt From The New Action Adventure : DEFYING DEATH IN HAGERSTOWN

(excerpt from the new action novel: “Defying Death In Hagerstown”: As I exited the news building, the day’s activity and stress finally hit me. I was exhausted, mentally more than physically. My legs felt like they had heavy weights attached, and my back felt like I had just played a full game of football against the Dallas Cowboys. The air was warm and breezy as I crossed the street to where my car was parked. My mind was working overtime in calculations and thoughts of the entire day, of murder victims, of Lolita, and my newfound acquaintances who had been so helpful in my investigation. As I crossed the empty and dead-quiet street, a dark car suddenly swerved toward me with a screech of tires that shocked me to attention. My eyes quickly focused on the vehicle, tires smoking as it raced right at me. The split second I had to think convinced me that I was a dead man. My first reaction was to run, but tired feet cannot outrun a car gunned full-out with a head of steam. Before I could move a muscle, I heard a loud slapping sound of hands, arms, body; I saw bright lights . . . and then total blackness. It’s amazing how fast a calculation the human brain can make in a life-or-death situation, convincing the person in that tenth of a second that their chances of surviving their current severe situation are almost zero percent. My situation was no different. My mind came up with me hitting a half-billion-dollar lottery faster than surviving that oncoming car. The darkness quickly turned bright, and I saw my mother and deceased father as they looked when they had just been married. They were smiling at me as they were illuminated in very bright light, as if a spotlight was shining on them. All I could do was stare. No words were spoken; there was just brightness, happiness, calmness, and peace— perfectly quiet peace. Heavenly, I thought, and then, Me? Heaven? Now? No way! But if this isn’t heaven, what is it? We all hear about tunnels of bright light, of relatives greeting the new arrivals, and some convincing the person who’s near death that it isn’t their time yet and they must go back. I waited, but there was no sign, no communication, no tunnel, and no movement. Just peace and quiet like I’d never experienced before. Then suddenly, the bright light grew brighter, blinding, as my parents disappeared and were replaced with just pure light. I wasn’t scared or worried about hell or heaven. I didn’t want to wake up, or go back home, or do anything but bask in the glorious bright light and perfect silence—a silence I had always yearned for but had never found, a silence that solved all the problems of the world. Maybe this is it! I thought, hoping that heaven was waiting for me. But suddenly I heard a noise that shattered the silence, though I couldn’t decipher the sounds or even where they were coming from. They grew louder, and the light grew intensely bright in my eyes. Louder still, a man’s voice spoke: “Okay . . . it’s okay . . . .” My eyes slowly opened and focused on a man with a beard—a doctor. C-2014 John Paul Carinci from Defying Death In Hagerstown http://www.amazon.com/Defying-Death-Hagerstown-Morgan-Fiction-ebook/dp/B00ODIC26K/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1415330029&sr=1-3&keywords=carinci

No comments:

Post a Comment