Wednesday, November 5, 2014

excerpt from the self help book: Awesome Success Principles and Quotations) Never Lose Your Hope and Faith Hope is that precious commodity that can fuel our drive. It can give us the intense courage to persevere through any struggle. In 1994 Sara Eberhardt was a three year old girl. Her mother had taken the little girl to her doctor for a checkup. The doctor gave the mother some very bad news. The doctor diagnosed the girl with cancer in both of her kidneys. But because of advances in medical technology, and specifically in cancer treatments, this little girl was given a special new form of chemotherapy, administered through a port just above her heart. The girl received a mind boggling 65 weeks of chemotherapy, radiation treatments, and also a surgery to remove a kidney. But amazingly this girl beat the cancer and thrived. Many years later the survivor is a senior at Winona State University in Minnesota, and an outstanding volunteer for Relay For Life. She said: “From the little girl who was diagnosed with kidney cancer, to the strong-willed American Cancer Society volunteer I am today. I’m standing tall, as an 18-year cancer survivor, ready to finish the fight against cancer!” Hospital Window “Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room’s only window. The other man had to spend all his time on his back. The men talked for hours on end. They began by telling each other about their illnesses but, eventually, their talks became more intimate as they spoke of their wives and families, their homes, jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation and other personal matters. Every afternoon, when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window. The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside. “This window overlooks a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans play on the water while children sail their model boats.” the man by the window said. “Young lovers walk arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline can be seen in the distance.” While the man by the window described this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene. His smile growing with every new piece of detail told to him. One afternoon, the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although, the other man couldn’t hear the band, any commotion or excitement --- he could see it. In his mind’s eye, as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words. Days, weeks and months went by as this became a daily routine. Small chitchat and an hour of the view of the outside world. One morning, the day nurse entered the room to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened but called the hospital attendants to take the body away. As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch and after making sure he was comfortable, she began straightening up the room. Slowly and painfully, the man propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside that he had heard so much about. He strained to slowly look out the window. It faced a blank wall. The man was confused and somewhat disappointed. He looked forward to seeing all the wonderful things his roommate had described to him. The park, the lake, the ducks, and swans. None of that could be seen from the bedside window. Feeling a little frustrated the man asked the nurse, “What could have compelled my roommate to lie to me like he did? He described such wonderful things outside this window but nothing he spoke of can be seen. All that is visible is that ugly grey blank wall. Why did he lie to me?” “Didn’t he tell you?” the nurse responded, “He was blind so he couldn’t see the wall. But maybe he described such wonderful things because they were visions in his mind and he wanted to encourage you?’ The man laid back on his bed and let out a sigh as he softly said, “Yes, that he did.” Then he whispered to himself, “Thank you for sharing your wonderful world, my friend.” --Author Unknown “If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging.” --Romans 12.8 “I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.” --Robert Fulghum On the subject of hope and happiness, in his book, Long Time No See, Dr. No-Yong Park writes, “Here’s a statement of what a Korean boy thought happiness meant to him. It appeared in one of Abigail Van Buren’s columns: ‘Happiness is no longer having to roam the streets of Seoul, begging for food, sleeping in doorways and under bridges or being cold, hungry or dirty. Happiness is having an American believe in me enough to take me in, give me my first real meal in years, buy my first pair of socks, and leather shoes, and underwear, and give me a bed where I could sleep between sheets, let me see my first TV and give me the first security I have ever known. Happiness means being adopted and coming to the United States. Happiness is the opportunity to attend school again for the first time in three years. Happiness is becoming an American citizen and making my new parents proud of me.’” “When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.” --Pittacus Lore I Wanted To Change the World “When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn’t change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn’t change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.” --Author: unknown monk around 1100 AD “Hope knows no fear. Hope dares to blossom even inside the abysmal abyss. Hope secretly feeds and strengthens promise.” --Sri Chinmoy Thomas Edison Edison had a great quote that most people never read. When interviewed by Success Magazine in 1898 Thomas Edison was asked, “What’s the first requisite for success?” And Edison answered this way: “The ability to apply your physical and mental energies to one problem incessantly without growing weary. You do something all day long, don’t you? Everyone does. If you get up at 7 a.m. and go to bed at 11 p.m., you have put in 16 good hours, and it is certain with most men that they have been doing something all the time. The only trouble is that they do it about a great many things and I do it about one. If they took the time in question and applied it in one direction, to one object they would succeed.” Dorothea Brand, author of Wake Up and Live, said, “All that is necessary to break the spell of frustration and inertia is this, act as if it were impossible to fail. That’s the talisman, the formula, the right about face that runs us from failure to success.” W. Clement Stone said, “Do what you’re afraid to do. When you run away because you are afraid to do something big, you pass opportunity by.” “Many men fail because they quit too soon. They lose faith when the signs are against them. They do not have the courage to hold on, to keep fighting in spite of that which seems insurmountable. If more of us would strike out and attempt the ‘impossible’, we very soon would find the truth of that old saw that nothing is impossible.... Abolish fear and you can accomplish anything you wish.” --Dr. C.E. Welch C-2014 John Paul Carinci from the book AWESOME SUCCESS PRINCIPLES http://www.amazon.com/Awesome-Success-Principles-Quotations-Carinci-ebook/dp/B00MRLXK9S/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415200704&sr=1-9&keywords=john+paul+carinci

No comments:

Post a Comment